As a project, XSEDE receives recommendations from the XAB, NSF panels, SPF, etc. One of our project KPIs is to address 90% of these recommendations within 90 days of receipt. In order to efficiently track and address these recommendations, they are entered into a JIRA Recommendations project.
Recommendations are typically assigned to the L2 Director or L3 Manager for the WBS area the recommendation applies to. Anyone who is assigned a recommendation that has not yet been closed will receive a notification email from JIRA with links to their open recommendations on the first Monday of each month. Addressing a recommendation could be as simple as “Building into PY9 plan” or, if you are choosing not to accept the recommendation, you might say something like “Recommendation considered, but effort does not fit into current budget.”
- You can access your JIRA recommendations by clicking on the recommendation number from the e-mail you receive as described above.
- You can access your JIRA recommendations by going to XSEDE Home on the wiki here - XSEDE Home. Recommendations that have been assigned to you will appear on that page under the heading "JIRA tasks assigned to Me". Look for any JIRA issue that begins with "REC" in the Key column of the table. Click on that link, e.g., REC-98.
When you receive or access an open recommendation, it will be in the “In Review” status (see yellow highlighted text in Figure 1 below). That status will not change until you complete the instructions below under "To address a recommendation". Note that the L2 Project Manager for each area is also listed on each recommendation and they will be notified about open recommendations for their area as well so they can help track them. Contact your PM if you have any questions.
To address a recommendation (NOTE: Actions below will require you login to JIRA)
- Once you have accessed your recommendation, you will see a button at the top of the issue that says "Address Recommendation". See red arrow in FIGURE 1 below.
- Click that button.
- A pop-up window will appear.
- In that window you will see multiple input fields.
- In the Comment field at the bottom of the pop-up (you may need to scroll down), insert your text for addressing the recommendation.
- Click the button at the bottom of the window that says "Address Recommendation".
- The pop-up window will disappear and on the recommendation page the "Status" of your issue should now be highlighted in green and say "Resolved". See red arrow in Figure 2 below.
To re-assign a recommendation (NOTE: Actions below will require you login to JIRA)
- Once you have accessed your recommendation, you will see a small heading on the right-side of the page near the top that says "People"
- Under that heading, you will see "Assignee". See red arrow in FIGURE 3 below.
- Click the name beside Assignee.
- Enter the name of the person who should be assigned the recommendation (All XSEDE staff members should be in the database, so the name should autofill when you type it).
- Once the correct name appears, click the check mark that appears under the field.
- The new assignee's name should now appear in the box and he or she will receive an e-mail notifying them that they have been assigned the recommendation.