Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

Goals

  • Improve strategies for finding and assisting users from non-traditional communities
  • Report and track work with NIP research groups

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
5 minWelcome and Agenda AdditionsPhilip Blood

Zoom Meeting ID:178 540 771

 Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/647898865

Or iPhone one-tap: US: +14086380968,,647898865#  or +16468769923,,647898865#   

Or Telephone?US: +1 408 638 0968  or +1 646 876 9923  or +1 669 900 6833

 

 

 XSEDE allocation final reportsSergiu SanieleviciXSEDE has started emailing requests for Final Reports for XSEDE allocations (including for very old projects, creating some confusion with users)
5 minNIP Strategic PlanPhilip Blood, Sergiu Sanielevici, All

Started page for NaIP Strategic Plan, with link to a Google Doc that captures our previous discussion on our two-part strategic focus:

  1. Increasing number of new users from NIP communities

  2. Harnessing the Data (and AI) Revolution

At the quarterly meeting discussed two proposals for moving forward:

  • Building Staff Development time into ECSS budgeted activities (training, conferences, etc)
  • Putting focused prompts into XSEDE portal pages that invite users to ask questions about ECSS and NIP services. ECSS team members would follow up to answer questions via email or call (whichever is appropriate).

Discussion:

Sergiu Sanielevici: Mentioned that other SPs need to be on the outlook for NIP projects (e.g., other sites doing Startup reviews can flag projects as NIP like Sergiu is doing and adding them to our JIRA pool).

Philip Blood: Maybe we can email potential NIP groups identified by Sergiu Sanielevici inviting them to consider ECSS or to accept an invitation to talk to us.

 

 

30 minCurrent NIP efforts + HighlightsPhilip Blood, All

Where are your current NIP efforts focused?

  • Paola Buitrago:
    • Various Big Data and AI projects
  • Paul Rodriguez:
    • Ying Xie and Mina Ameri, University of Texas at Dallas. Paul is working with this group on benchmarking. (Paul reports he's parallelized their R code and he is testing).
    • Christopher Nygren: AI and Art (just started)
  • Feng Kevin Chen:
  • Jen Bacall:
  • Sergiu Sanielevici: Funneling NIP projects to JIRA
  • Roberto Gomez:
    • ECSS3-4509 speed up Matlab code performance for this project. Contacted but no response. Going to copy Sergiu on the next communication
    • ECSS3-4882: Rand Corporation
    • Working on various software requests
  • Anirban Jana:
    • Getting in to AI and Big Data
    • Working with courses and hackathon and some projects – will provide a list
  • Alan B Craig:
    • Historical newspapers and juvenile delinquency (OCR and extracting stories from OCR – hard problem – a big contribution to Digital Humanities). Connection to Edward Ayres – potential domain champion;
    • Baliwood movie project (Reni)
  • Marcela Madrid:
    • Just attended Women in Data Science Conference at CMU and made several interesting contacts. Increasing outreach at CMU to let more people know about XSEDE/ECSS. Started contacting people that met at this conference.
      • Stacy Levine (submitting Startup)
  • Sudhakar Pamidighantam:
    • Contacted a couple of groups from JIRA list. One was already working with Yang Wang at PSC (renewing allocation). Sudhakar Pamidighantam will document interactions with these projects in JIRA.
    • Attending SGCI MolSSI workshop and working with users there (chemistry-related gateways).
    • Clark (Washington State): Network analysis and visualization (basic map and then add layers with features)
  • Lisa Lowe: Taking advantage of XSEDE training. Work together with ECSS staff on a project. Can also help support other user needs.
    • Working through NIP JIRA projects and will email Sergiu Sanielevici to see where they stand with their allocation usage before reaching out
  • Emre Brookes:
    • Looking through JIRA list and will tag interesting projects.
  • Davide Del Vento:
    • Presenting GIS work with Eric Shook. Might present as ECSS symposium or on NIP call

NIP Projects we are aware of. Sergiu has a list at the bottom of the main NIP page: WBS 2.2.3 NIP: Novel & Innovative Projects.

Marques Bland now has these projects in JIRA:

T Key Summary Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution Created Updated Due
Loading...
Refresh

 

5 minAOB, next meetingPhilip Blood

Reminder: SGCI can now be allocated through XRAS ECSS (help with User Interface side).

Next meeting: April 23, 2018

Action items

  • All: Fill out ECSS Skills Survey: https://goo.gl/forms/S5MEj72cul0nE5q33 - we will tell you who has not done so yet.
  • All: If you have experiences you'd like to share with NIP team members on a call let Philip Blood know!
  • All: Enter Background, Skills, and Interests (particularly: what are you interested in doing in NIP?) into Confluence Profile
  • Philip Blood follow up with Domain Champions on reaching out to communities at conferences
  • All: Identify interesting NIP projects from JIRA list above and mark yourself as "Assigned" if already working with the group or "Watching" if interested in it. Either way, add a comment at the bottom and tag Philip Blood